The PRINTING United Alliance Glossary serves as an excellent industry terminology resource. It is the language by which we all communicate. Without it, universal understanding would be impossible.

To keep our constituents well informed about changes to the increasingly complex industry terminology, PRINTING United Alliance has developed this glossary of terms. Definitions are for general reference only. Usage may vary between companies, individuals, or national and country customs. The information presented is as accurate as the authors and editors can ascertain and PRINTING United Alliance assumes no responsibility for the use of information presented herein.
  • Grippers
    (gripping fingers) Mechanical fingers on a press that grasp or hold a substrate for positioning.
  • Grit
    The abrasive material on a grinding belt or wheel used for sharpening squeegee material.
  • Grog
    Small particles of sand, bisque, or quartz that are added to a clay body to give it strength.
  • Grommet
    (1) A metal reinforcement, usually in the form of a round ring, mounted in the edge or corners of a printed banner for hanging; (2) a small rubber ring used to insulate a printing screen used in hot ink screen printing.
  • Grommet and washer with teeth
    A metal ring that is permanently attached by means of teeth in the washer.
  • Grommeting
    The process of applying metal reinforcements (grommets) into holes punched in edges or corners of a banner, display, or sign unit for the purpose of hanging.
  • Ground glass
    A sheet of glass that is translucent at the back of a camera that can be moved into the focal plane in place of the film holder and used to assist in focusing the image.
  • Grounding
    The creation of a connection capable of transferring a static or electrical charge to earth ground.
  • Growth
    (1) Expansion of graphic out of register due to screen stretch; (2) expansion of material due to mechanical embossing.
  • Guide edge
    The side of a substrate that is at a right angle to the gripper edge.
  • Guide pin
    A pin that aligns closing mold halves.
  • Guillotine
    (cutter) A manual or electronic paper cutter with a straight blade that raises and lowers with the downward action being the cutting portion of the cycle.
  • Guillotine cutting
    The cutting of stacked sheet stock by straight line cutting with a suspended blade.
  • Gum
    A water soluble substance that hardens when exposed to air that is used as a resinous binder in ink and varnish formulations.
  • Gum arabic
    A water soluble organic gum of various species of acacia used as a binder in ceramic glazes and colors and other ink formulations.
  • Gum tragacanth
    (1) An organic material of vegetable origin used as a binder in glazes and enamels; (2) an organic substance of vegetable origin used as a binder in water vehicle solutions, particularly those containing gelatins used in making photoscreen stencils; similar to gum arabic.
  • Gum turpentine
    A volatile oil obtained by distilling the resin extracted by tapping living pine trees, and who’s main constituent is pinene.
  • Gusset
    An added structure used to strengthen a formed plastic object.
  • Gutter
    (1) The taped interior edges of the screen parallel to the direction of the squeegee; (2) the white space along the inside margins of facing pages.