The PRINTING United Alliance Glossary serves as an excellent industry terminology resource. It is the language by which we all communicate. Without it, universal understanding would be impossible.

To keep our constituents well informed about changes to the increasingly complex industry terminology, PRINTING United Alliance has developed this glossary of terms. Definitions are for general reference only. Usage may vary between companies, individuals, or national and country customs. The information presented is as accurate as the authors and editors can ascertain and PRINTING United Alliance assumes no responsibility for the use of information presented herein.
  • Draining test (of a coating)
    Reveals the variation in film thickness from top to bottom of a dip-coated strip prepared under specified test conditions.
  • Draize test
    A method for measuring skin or eye irritability to a chemical substance.
  • Draw bar frame
    A metal channel that holds a moveable bar within each side of a screen frame. Mesh is attached to the bars and the bars are moved by turning the adjustment screws to apply tension).
  • Drawback
    In woven fabric, a distortion caused by tightness and slackness in the same warp thread.
  • Drawdown
    A method of roughly determining color shade; a film of ink is deposited on a substrate by means of a smooth edge blade or cylindrical rod, to evaluate the undertone and mass tone of an ink.
  • Drawdown device
    A apparatus for producing controlled ink drawdown.
  • Drawdown rod
    A metal rod wound with fine wire, used to coat liquids evenly at a given thickness across a substrate; also refer to equalizer rod.
  • Drawer easel
    An easel for displays with a build-in drawer.
  • Drier
    Any substance added to an ink to hasten drying; organic metal compounds that are soluble in oily vehicles that are used to catalyze the transfer of oxygen from the air to the vehicle of the ink accelerating ink drying through oxidation and polymerization.
  • Drier dissipation
    A loss in catalytic power of a drier due to physical absorption or chemical reaction with certain pigments.
  • Drift
    (1) Change in a reading or set point value over time, due to factors such as changes in ambient temperature or line voltage; (2) Change in durometer of a squeegee blade due to chemical softening or extended use.
  • Drip through
    The dropping or running through the stencil openings of screen printing ink during shut down of the printing station, or during printing, by inadvertently pressing ink into the openings before the printing stroke.
  • Dri-release
    A patented micro fiber of blended polyester and cotton or wool that provides a wicking action that removes moisture through the fabric and into the air.
  • Drop out
    The reduction or loss of small highlight dots from the original to the printed reproduction; a halftone with no screen dots in the highlight area.
  • Drop shadow
    A representation of a shadow under or around portions of a letter or letters in which the shadow effect is separated from the main body of the letter by space.
  • Drum scanner
    Scanning equipment where the image rotates in front of scanning sensors that sharpen the image and convert RGB to CMYK.
  • Dry crock
    The tendency of a dry or cured ink film to lose pigment when abraded. Indicates insufficient cure or too much pigment in the binder.
  • Dry film thickness
    The depth, expressed in mils or microns, of an applied coating thickness measured after drying or curing has taken place.
  • Dry offset (letterset)
    A printing process that uses a blanket for transferring the image from plate to substrate, a relief plate, and no dampening system.
  • Dry rub resistance
    The resistance of the dry surface of a coated or uncoated paper or paper board to disruption of the surface when subjected to rubbing or scuffing.
  • Dry strength
    Strength of an adhesive joint, determined immediately after drying.
  • Dry transfer (lettering)
    Images that can be transferred to the artwork by rubbing them off the back of a transfer sheet.
  • Dry transfer photomechanical material
    A group of photomechanical aids that permit direct application of textures, patterns, symbols, and letters to another surface.
  • Dryer
    A conveyor or static oven used to hasten drying of a wet material by subjecting it to heat generated by gas or electricity, or circulated ambient air.
  • Dryfoot
    Ware with no glaze on the foot.