G7+ is a new print calibration specification developed by PRINTING United Alliance designed to optimize print output, gray balance, and tonality for print across all technologies, substrates, and applications.
G7+ enhances the legacy G7 methodology, which now serves as the baseline for numerous widely adopted print and color global standards, to provide optimal color alignment across traditional commercial print, packaging, and new digital print technology and workflows for consistency across all print production processes. Since its introduction in 2005, G7 has revolutionized the ease, quality, and efficiency of most 4-color printing methods, including offset, flexo, toner, and gravure.
G7+ maintains the features, benefits, and general appearance of G7 but with more accurate gray balance, improved tonality, and better performance in unusual printing conditions.
- G7+ is a method to ensure a similar appearance across all print output devices.
- G7+ is used to accurately and repeatedly hit desired color targets.
- G7+ is designed to align all processes, substrates, and inks.
- G7+ is built on global standards for aligned global print communication and supply chain management.
What’s New With G7+
- A completely new tonality algorithm maintains legacy G7 tonality at conventional and packaging print out (e.g. GRACoL® 2013) ink levels, but improves pictorial appearance on low-contrast media such as textiles, thin papers, absorbent board, etc., with slightly lighter and more natural contrast, especially in flesh tones.
- There is virtually no visible difference between G7 and G7+ on typical commercial print production and proofing systems.
- G7+ delivers an improved shared neutral appearance with a more robust gray balance algorithm derived from the same G7 CMY triplets, even on strongly colored substrates.
- G7+ gray balance is completely unaffected by SCCA, making profiling more valuable to print standards on different substrates.
- G7+ verification and QC aims and tolerances, like those required for G7 Master printers are enhanced beyond those of G7.
PRINTING United Alliance certifies the industry's most knowledgeable experts and print production facilities across print, creative, and prepress services in the G7+ methodology. The G7+ method outlines an easy-to-follow recipe for implementing ISO printing standards and additional metrics. The result is a simple but powerful way to match from proof to press.
G7+ for Printers
Print service providers know that a measurable, predictable, uniform color management process provides significant business advantages. For printers to make money, orders must be turned around quickly, they must be consistent, and they must be predictable.
G7+ for Brand Owners, Print Buyers and Creatives
If all print products have the same gray balance and neutral tonality defined by G7, they will look remarkably alike to the human eye regardless of how they are printed, a key component in effective brand quality management.
G7+ for OEMs and Technology Providers
OEMs and resellers know when it comes to equipment and software, customers have a lot of choices. The ability to easily achieve leading quality across print, packaging and graphic communications for print manufacturers, their customers, and consumers, is often the difference between success and failure across the print supply chain.