Set up, operate and maintain a machine to cut paper stock preparatory to binding or folding.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review specifications to determine page sequence, type of fold and page or sheet size.
- Measure from edge of sheet using scale to determine incremental cutting positions from guide.
- Enter cutting positions in proper order into computer memory.
- Remove sheets of printed or unprinted paper stackfrom the load and place them on the cutter bed. Jog and align sheets against the cutter guide in preparation for cutting.
- Activate computer to move sheets into first cut position. Activate double hand switches to begin cutting operation.
- Examine cut material for any imperfections and adjust computer program as needed.
- Remove finished or pre-finished material from the cutter bed and stack on pallets for shipment to the customer or next operation.
- Record job information on load tags and time sheets.
- Change knives and lubricate as needed as recommended by manufacturers specifications.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, WORKING CONDITIONS
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to read and understand written and verbal instructions, Job Jackets, press imposition and rule-up sheets.
- Must be mechanically inclined.
- Must have basic electronic and computer keyboard knowledge.
- Stand and walk 95% of the time. (Safety shoes required. Company participates in cost.)
- Extensive lifting and bending actions.
- Physically capable of lifting to 75lbs. (Back braces provided upon request.)
- Manufacturing environment with noise exposure to varying levels. (Hearing protection provided.)
- Ability to direct fellow crew members in the overall operation involved in the job.
- Reports to the Bindery Supervisor.
- Supervises Bindery Helpers working on the cutter.
- Internal contacts include other Operators, Bindery Helpers, Bindery Supervisor, Bindery Superintendent, Press and Prep designees, and Customer Service personnel.
- No external contacts.