Job Title: Bindery and Shipping Supervisor
Reports to: Plant Manager
Job Summary: Responsible for all work performed in the bindery, and timely shipping of finished jobs. Manage production in the department; responsible for productivity, quality, timeliness, and cost control of work in bindery. Assign work and give instructions to personnel. Plan, organize, influence and control issues related to efficient bindery processes and effective personnel. Work cooperatively with all production supervisors and customer service/sales personnel.
- Review and plan job scheduling with management and sales personnel to assure that the product is produced according to customer need.
- Attend daily production meeting each morning.
- "OK" binding jobs after set-up and before actual run.
- Manage all work as it proceeds through the Bindery. Schedule the work flow through the department to assure promptness and control costs. Make work assignments, give instructions pertaining to a job and answer questions dept. personnel have about their work. - Consult with Plant Manager when necessary to answer work related questions.
- Provide on-the-job training in specified circumstances.
- Responsible for the control of loss and spoilage in the dept. Emphasize the need for quality in the work performed and spot check the work done by the dept. personnel.
- Order supplies for department as needed.
- Responsible for timely shipping of finished goods; supervise drivers.
- Determine the need for acquiring temporary help for hand work.
- Schedule time for routine maintenance of equipment.
- Work closely with human resource manager on HR issues, including but not limited to: hiring, promotion and termination issues.
- Provide regular feedback to employees throughout the year, and complete annual written performance reviews with all bindery and shipping employees.
- Schedule vacations in department.
- Responsible for scheduling of work to be done by outside bindery vendors.
- Keeps abreast of new methods, processes and procedures in order to keep up-to-date. Recommend changes or improvement in equipment.
- Is consulted in estimating jobs.
- Enforce all company rules and policies consistently; especially regarding safety devices & procedures.
- Perform duties in accordance with all federal, state, local and company rules.
Skills and Abilities Required:
Thorough knowledge of the operation and function of all bindery tasks and equipment. Knowledge of the entire print process. Ability to set up, operate, and maintain all equipment in the bindery at the optimal level. Ability to supervise and train people. Ability to prioritize effectively in scheduling work through the department.
Five or more years of progressively responsible experience in a print bindery. Strong problem-solving, decision-making, and organizational abilities. Continuing desire for personal growth and development of leadership and managerial abilities; good communication skills. High tolerance for stress and pressure.
Loud machinery; constant walking on cement floor, high level of stress and responsibility.