By viewing this job description, you acknowledge that Printing Industries of America assumes no liability for the accuracy of information as it was submitted by various members of the association. The following is provided for "informational purposes only" so that your company may develop its own customized job descriptions. Companies viewing the following agree that they will customize their own job descriptions to meet production demands, operational procedures, recruiting criteria, performance criteria, and any required legal compliance.
TITLE: General Manager
Plans, directs and coordinates all plant production and administrative operations in accordance with pre-established company objectives and policies.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND AUTHORITIES
- Reports to the President/CEO.
- Coordinates production activities with the production supervisors.
- Projects scheduling needs and planning for the most efficient use of manpower, materials and equipment.
- Develops and maintains an effective organization through the selection, training, compensation and motivation of all personnel.
- Ensures compliance with applicable laws and regulations issued by OSHA, EPA, EEOC and other local, state and federal regulatory agencies.
- Administers the company's wage and salary administration program in cooperation with the Group Human Resources Department.
- Counsels, disciplines and terminates employees in conjunction with their supervisor and human resources and reviews any complaints and/or grievances.
- Handles customer complaints and follows through for customer satisfaction.
- Reviews and evaluates expenditure requests submitted by subordinates handling those within authority and submitting others to appropriate management.
- Provides accurate, reliable projections and reports to the President as required.
- Ensures a program of preventive maintenance and equipment repair in accordance with production needs, plant regulations and objectives.
- Participates in management meetings to assist in planning and to make recommendations on matters related to manufacturing, maintenance operations and sales.
- Represents the interests of the plant and the company in the community.
- Prepares annual budgets.
- Meets and entertains customers and prospective customers as necessary.
- Arbitrates production scheduling priority conflicts when required.
- Assists marketing department in developing new products, selling prices and presentations.
- Performs other duties as requested by the President.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES AND EDUCATION
- Requires a bachelor's degree in industrial management or graphic arts or equivalent experience.
- Requires at least five years printing experience including supervisory, production management or plant superintendent positions.
- Requires the ability to efficiently operate a computer and to understand and correctly use the various items on the menu.
- Requires a thorough knowledge of the printing industry, sales, budgeting and management techniques.
- Because of the variety of contacts, requires a high degree of tact and diplomacy and a good sense of business etiquette.