Written October 17, 2019
FLSA Status: Exempt
Alternate Job Titles: Material Control Manager, Procurement Manager
Directs and coordinates the activities of personnel engaged in purchasing and distributing raw materials, equipment, machinery, supplies and contract services of a screen printing and graphic imaging company. Responsible for the implementation of all policies, practices, and procedures pertaining to purchasing personnel. Supervises the issuance of all purchase orders, insuring the inclusion of required specifications, prices, terms, and conditions by performing the following duties personally or through assistant personnel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyzes market and delivery conditions to determine present and future material availability and prepares market analysis reports.
- Establishes purchasing department procedures and practices, and studies work flow, sequence of operations, and office arrangement to improve work flow.
- Prepares departmental budget and monitors expenditure of budgeted funds.
- Prepares instructions regarding purchasing systems and procedures.
- Supervises, prepares, and issues purchase orders and change notices insuring the inclusion of required specifications, prices, terms and conditions, and other relevant purchasing information.
- Informs production department of required lead times, availability, and status of ordered goods, services and equipment.
- Interprets and enforces company policies and safety regulations.
- Arranges for disposal of surplus materials.
- Confers with other supervisors to coordinate activities of individual departments.
- Prepares purchasing activity reports.
- Arranges for the disposal of surplus materials.
- Attends various professional meetings, seminars, and other related meetings to maintain contact with vendors and keep abreast of the trends within the purchasing field.
Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of supervisory and non supervisory personnel. Carries out leadership responsibilities in accordance with company policies, procedures, safety, and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning assisting, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree in Business, Production, or Purchasing Management from four-year college or university; or three to five years of screen printing and/or digital imaging purchasing experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Strong skills in work planning and scheduling.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, customers, and employees.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations to printing jobs.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and/or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes, toxic chemicals, and heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Some independent travel is required.