Production Planner (Non-Exempt)
JOB SUMMARY: The Production Planner is the liaison between the company and it’s customers. The Production Planner takes responsibility through ownership of each job that is written. All jobs are planned and controlled through the job ticket, which is the written means of communication to all departments. The planner’s primary duty includes the exercise of discretion and independent judgment to properly plan, modify and implement all modes for a job. The planner is responsible for quality control and oversees and manages the production of jobs.
- Writes up job ticket completely and accurately per specs given by salesman/customer.
- Completes QC checklist on every job
- Maintains constant communication with Production Manager and customer contact, salesman with regard to schedule and job status
- Keeps job ticket and its components current as changes occur
- Marshals the resources to meet customer’s demands
- Writes Purchase Orders to vendors containing price along with detailed instructions for completion of the job they are contracted to do. (Keeping in mind the purchase order is a legal contract between the company and the vendor)
- All Purchase Orders should spell-out exactly what materials will be provided by the company and exactly what is to be received in return
- Maintain constant communication with vendors in regard to the company’s schedule
- Exercises discretion and independent judgment while planning jobs
- Able to interpret and implement management’s policies and procedures.
- Able to assess customers’ needs.
- Able to represent the company in a professional manner while handling customers’ complaints.
- Check and initial proofs prior to sending to customer, indicating quantity and colors
- Check proofs in from customer indicating any changes on Change Order Form as P.E. and/or A.A.
- Make copy of every job ticket and track its status each day during production meeting
- Mark job ticket as either quoted or not quoted indicating who approved quote and turned in to production
- Complete a layout for every new job that goes through prep department, in metrix.
- Upon proof approval, send any die-lines (that have been approved) to vendors with purchase order and indicate on ticket that it has been done
- Indicate to Press to pull the similar OK sheet for plate folder
- Provide in-house support for salespeople and keep salespeople informed of all interactions between the company and the customer.
- Negotiation and re-negotiation of production schedules regarding customer’s jobs.
- Has the ability to stop a job anywhere in the company if the planner feels that it is necessary.
- Always trying to beat the quote by being more efficient as possible.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Regular and predictable attendance is considered an essential part of the job.
- The ability to instill confidence in customers with constant communication concerning specification verification, and job status.
- A thorough knowledge of entire offset printing process.
- Above-average math skills
- Above-average problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to remain organized through excellent prioritization skills
- Sympathetic to customers’ problems while keeping in mind the company’s well-being
- Pleasing personality – polite, attentive and friendly
- Able to make decisions under pressure
- Welcome responsibility
- Willing to do “whatever it takes” to get the job done – even working some overtime
- Flexibility and a good team player
- Willing to learn
- Must be patient and remain levelheaded.
- Basic computer skills needed
Follow all safety procedures and company policies.