Existing Members, please login
Not a Member?
Three easy ways to become a member:
- Complete an inquiry form to have a representative contact you.
- Use the search box to the right to look up your affiliate and contact them directly.
- View a complete affiliate listing, select your affiliate based on location, and contact them directly.
For more information about membership questions in general, call 800-910-4283 or email email@example.com.
Find Your Affiliate
Because issues and needs often differ regionally across North America, membership begins at a local level, through your local affiliate association.
Enter your zip code below to locate your affiliate.
What is your Zipcode?
Technology & Research
Printing Plant Layout/Design ― Materials Handling and Storage
Whether a printer’s expansion plans are to be a rearrangement, a building addition, a move to a larger facility, the construction of a new facility, Printing Industries of America’s engineering consultant can provide the needed technical expertise.
The plant layout/design service develops the ideal workflow available, locates equipment and supporting services to best fit that workflow and provides for future expansion. The plant layout/design service provides recommendations on layout dimensions, ceiling height and dock locations for new facilities. It also provides recommendations for floor, walls and ceiling finish, illumination levels and type of luminaries, temperature and humidity levels, noise control, etc. Since up to 50% of production labor can be involved in materials handling, and up to 60% of plant area can be utilized for materials storage. Plant layout/design is a major tool to addressing process bottlenecks and accelerating production throughput when implementing Lean Manufacturing.
What can plant layout and facility design service do for my company…
- Determine your existing area allocations, ie, office, prepress, press, bindery, warehouse
- Identify optimal workflow stream for increase production throughput
- Develop a proposed area allocation for your expanded facility
- Prepare a macro and micro detailed layout plans showing office areas, prepress, press and bindery equipment; support services locations and equipment, on a scaled layout plan (1/8" or 1/4" = 1'-0")
- Review all plans with key people who must make the new layout work
- Indicate major equipment/department utilities; electrical-drop locations, production area water and drain locations, etc.
- Provide facility recommendations regarding temperature, humidity, finishes, lighting and noise control
- Appraise paper storage layouts and methods, and advise on improvements to increase efficiencies and reduce waste.
- Analyze all sheet and roll paper inventory for pounds on hand, turns per year, number of SKUs (Stock Keeping Units), volume usage per SKU and date of last usage. Recommend methods to reduce or eliminate SKUs.
- Examine waste paper handling and provide recommendations for efficiencies and salvage value.
- Guidance to modernize a typical printing facility into a sustainable green printing operation.
For more information and to schedule a consultation, contact Jim Workman at 412-259-1710 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Published on Tuesday, January 3, 2006 (updated 11/26/2013)