|JOB TITLE: Estimator||PREPARATION DATE: 09/09|
|REPORTS TO: Estimating Manager||CLASSIFICATION: Exempt|
Job Purpose and Reporting Structure:
Working with the Estimating Manager and directly with other team members this position is responsible for producing timely & accurate estimates for projects coming into production.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include the Following:
- Estimate labor & material costs of printing & binding books, pamphlets, periodicals and other printed materials based on specifications outlined from sales, customer service or submitted by prospective customer.
- Examine specifications, sketches, and/or layouts to calculate production costs using material and pricing schedules contained in Hagen, vendor price books and vendor estimates. Considering factors such as size, number of sheets or pages, paper stock, binding operations, number of ink colors and quality of finished product to determine the most cost effective production method.
- Confer with department heads and/or production personnel to develop or confirm information regarding various cost elements.
- Establish and maintain relationships with outside vendors and industry experts; maintain knowledge of current and new technologies.
- Communicate and negotiate with vendors on behalf of the company to obtain competitive pricing & scheduling to meet our customer’s needs.
- Multi-task to improve estimate workflow when outside vendor pricing is needed.
- Review post production tickets and compare actual vs. estimated costs.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and electronically with coworkers, customers and vendors
- Partner with customer service and other business functions to leverage their skills, thus enabling the sales representative to focus on developing new and existing sales opportunities.
- Develop solutions and results through continuous improvement; collaborate with business functions to fully understand new product offerings and be able to discuss, present, and implement them.
- Recognize and celebrate wins; foster a high performance environment with a focus on “team”; collaborate effectively with peer group
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as requested or required.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Communications Management, Associate Degree of Applied Arts in Printing & Publishing or related field or equivalent printing experience required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess a high level of communication skills – both oral and written, accuracy, organizational skills, computer skills and a dedication to succeed.
- Excellent math skills are essential
- Must be able to make quick, informed and accurate decisions.
- Printing and related experience in all phases of production (prepress, press, bindery, mailing and shipping) is required in both sheet fed offset and digital print environments.
- Must be willing to be a member of a team in a fast paced production environment.
Dress Code: Business casual
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On occasion the incumbent may be required to stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders.
The employee must occasionally lift up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: General office environment
Management Approval: _________________________ Date: ______________
Employee Acknowledgement: ____________________ Date: ______________
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principle functions of the occupation described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the occupation.