Job Title: Shipping Manager
Reports To: Vice President of Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Shipping Manager is responsible for the accurate and timely shipment of all outbound goods. The activities carried out within the department include:
- material movement and consolidation
- packaging and palletizing product
- labeling cartons, pallets, and loads
- preparing packing lists and shipping documentation
- loading and unloading trucks
- dispatching drivers for pick-up and deliveries
- delivering samples, proofs, and product
- executing large volume distribution lists
- executing shipments in freight systems
- entering and shipment status into various computer systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Management, scheduling, and daily work prioritization of the Shipping staff to maintain an effective and efficient capability to ship and receive all products, supplies, and materials required to operate the business.
- Identify and manage any required education, training, and professional development of the Shipping staff to ensure the company retains a competitive edge in Shipping processes and activities.
- Remain knowledgeable of current technologies, equipment, and products to ensure our Shipping operations are using the most appropriate tools and techniques to maintain our competitive advantage and provide our customers with consistent high-quality service that meets or exceeds their expectations.
- Maintain a close and positive working relationship with our Shipping vendors and suppliers to ensure we are alerted to any product advancement, industry issue, new regulation that may affect our Shipping operations.
- Work closely with customers, the company’s sales staff, and various production departments to foster and develop an efficient set of processes and procedures for completing the Shipping workload in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
Directly supervises associates in the Shipping department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training associates; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining associates; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; and seven (7) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of PC's and accompanying software, such as Microsoft Office.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Other Skills and Abilities:
- High motivation to deliver quality service on time, every time
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle rapidly-changing work requirements
- Ability to manage people to work to a deadline under strict quality controls
- Strong working knowledge of shipping and receiving operations and processes
- Strong working knowledge of common carrier and expedited carrier operations
- Strong process orientation and ability to manage complex workflows
- Strong organizational abilities, including the ability to continually prioritize work to meet changing work conditions and customer requirements
- At least 7 years experience in shipping and receiving or equivalent experience
- At least 3 years of supervisory experience
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the associate is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The associate is frequently required to walk and reach with hands and arms. The associate is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The associate must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and /or move up to 100 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. This position requires the individual to be able to identify, select, and distinguish products and versions by color, as well as variances in the text and graphics on the actual piece. This position is also required to read and interpret labels, shipping documents, and other paperwork on a regular basis. Some of the printed and/or imaged material can be small, requiring close vision and the ability to focus precisely. Therefore, color vision and close vision are critical.
This position is also responsible for company drivers and much of the forklift and electric pallet jack activity within the plant. The Shipping Manager is usually assigned the safety role of forklift trainer and must be able to accurately assess an individuals’ ability to operate the equipment safely; therefore, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception are also requirements of the job.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The associate is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; fumes or airborne particles; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.