Shipping & Receiving Department Supervisor
I. Job Summary: Supervises the Shipping & Receiving Department, Baling Room, Recycling Program
II. Reports To: Manager of Finishing Departments
III. Lean Expectations (Each employment anniversary year):
- Participate in at least two hours of educational experience (s) such as job shadowing, technical skills training, cross training, webinars, seminars, Lean networking tours, etc.
- Implement at least one improvement idea.
IV. Production Responsibilities:
A. Specific Responsibilities:
1. Job scheduling and coordination for entire shipping department
2. Maintain records, logs and personnel files for shipping department
3. Maintain liaison between shipping department and CSR's
- Direct warehouse personnel as to location and transfer of product in process
- Maintain inventory and disposition of stored goods
- Direct and train personnel on all shifts regarding proper scrap handling and separation of stock
- Monitor power lift operation and conduct formal training for recommended employees as to qualified licensed operators
- Assist scheduling department by insuring product is at the respective presses/binders in accordance with daily schedule
B. General responsibilities of All Supervisors:
1. Guarantees production through effective delegation of duties
2. Plans work of the department, distributes it to the appropriate employees and explains special procedures or conditions
3. Achieves production according to schedule
4. Develops production standards for quality control
5. Develops work procedures to achieve most efficient production
6. Maintains good relations with other departments and customers; cooperates with other supervisors
C. Follows and enforces all required safety procedures such as: PPE's, Ergonomics, Chemical Hazards, etc. Performs job in a manner that protects the health and safety of all employees.
V. Administrative Responsibilities:
A. Specific Responsibilities:
1. Work with UPS representative regarding updated programs and procedures
2. Negotiate rates (discounts) with UPS and Fed Express
3. File claims, as needed
4. Assist clerk in entering drop shipment lists in computer for UPS when necessary
B. Common carrier
1. Arrange truck load shipments, negotiate rates
2. Negotiate freight discounts with carriers
3. Figure freight charges for estimating and billing
4. File claims, as needed
5. Make out customs papers for Canadian and other foreign shipments
6. Keep 48 state list of carriers up-to-date
7. Type bills of lading on computer
1. Balance postal accounts with post office
2. Apply for postal permits for new customers
D. General responsibilities of All supervisors:
1. Attends meetings
2. Assures that equipment is maintained at top efficiency; guarantees that spare parts are available as needed
3. Preserves important production, business and personnel records
4. Provides regular reports to management on costs, operations and morale
IIII. Management of Personnel Responsibilities:
A. Specific responsibilities shared with All supervisors:
1. Coordinates scheduling and work assignments in the department.
2. Guarantees accurate time reporting.
3. Enforces work and safety rules. Follows and enforces all required safety procedures such as: PPE’s, Ergonomics, Chemical Hazards, etc. Performs job in a manner that protects the health and safety of all employees.
4. Communicates management policy to employees; communicates employees desires and needs to management.
5. Coordinates the scheduling of vacations in department.
a. Trains employees in the skills required to perform advanced job procedures.
b. Trains qualified employees to become his or her own replacement.
c. Develops training manuals and performance expectations for both new and veteran personnel.
7. Recommends promotions, raise and incentives.
8. Motivates employees in the skills required to perform advanced job procedures.
9. Recommends hiring or firing employees in the department.
10. See other.
IVI. Other Responsibilities:
A. Shared by All Supervisors:
1. Develops training manuals and performance expectations for both new and veteran personnel
2. Guarantees accurate reporting of consumption of materials
3. Controls costs by overseeing purchasing of supplies for planning a job
4. Assists Estimators, when requested, in estimating costs or planning a job
5. Sets a good example for all employees in the department
6. Meet all expectations as outlined in expectations of managers/supervisors.
7. Perform other such duties as directed
VI. Job Qualifications:
A. Be a proficient typist
B. Organizational skills
C. Be able to work well with others
- Basic Math
- Accurate recordkeeping
- Problem solving ability